Born and raised in Ottawa, Mike is the oldest of 6 children. As a young man, he worked a variety of jobs with a passion for hard work and making the most of every opportunity.
In 1973, Mike moved out west to Grande Prairie to pursue new career opportunities. Over the years, he has made Grande Prairie home with his wife of 44 years, Alison, and their three children, Colleen, Patrick, and Kathleen.
Mike enjoys contributing to the community through avid volunteerism. From the Chambers of Commerce, to the Swan City Rotary Club, to the Grande Prairie Live Theatre, the projects and initiatives achieved through his efforts will continue to support Grande Prairie for many years to come.
“I have worked too hard to sit back and not be a part of the future.”
My goal is to attract new businesses to set up shop. Why? New business creates job opportunities, increases tax revenue, and offers new services to the community.
When I was a member of the Alberta Chamber, I had the opportunity to visit many different communities in Alberta. What I noticed was those communities that were open to opportunities and new businesses were thriving and growing exponentially.
We must create an environment for economic growth for our community to continue to prosper.
What do you have to do to create a bright future for our children and the generations to come?
I have a vision of a safe, beautiful, and industrious city.
My vision includes:
- A safe place to live.
- A beautiful place to come and be proud of.
- A place to shop local and support the local economy.
- A city where we can receive all levels of education.
- A city where we have all amenities.
- A city with the finest arts, galleries, theatres, and performers.
- A city where athletes of all levels can achieve excellence.
- A city where every person, no matter their colour, denomination, nationality, or orientation can live and prosper.
Streets & Sidewalks
Potholes are a huge concern in Grande Prairie. While we will never be without potholes, we can focus on increasing the longevity of our streets and sidewalks.
My approach is to work collaboratively with City administration to find a solution that works best for Grande Prairie.
Hub Of The North
My vision is for Grande Prairie to thrive in its role as the central hub for Northern Alberta.
We need to establish a more inclusive relationship with our neighbors surrounding us. I envision a working relationship with our neighbors, finding collaborative solutions for the entire region. This will help attract large developments, creating income sources for all the parties involved.
“You are nobody unless you are helping someone else.”
Chamber of Commerce Board Experience
I served on the Grande Prairie and District Chamber of Commerce Board from 1991-1997 serving as Chair in 1995.
- Highway 40 Construction Project – Unifying Grande Prairie, Grande Cache, Hinton, and Jasper
- Airport & Flight Expansion
- Strategic Development of Grande Prairie & Community Partners (City, County, and the M.D. of Greenview)
- Promoting Grande Prairie’s Abundant Opportunities to Edmonton and Calgary Chambers of Commerce
- Hosting Canada Winter Games Showcasing Grande Prairie to the rest of Cananda
- The Gateway Project – Promoting the Community to Large Retailers & Franchises Making Grande Prairie a Destination Hub
Alberta Chambers Of Commerce
I served on the Alberta Chambers of Commerce from 1996-2001 serving as Chair in 2000, giving me a seat at the Canadian Chamber of Commerce Board.
United Way Alberta Northwest
One of my most cherished memories was serving as the Campaign Chair for the United Way Alberta Northwest in 2012. Our cabinet raised over a million dollars, a goal never achieved before.
Grande Prairie Live Theatre (GPLT)
A Passion For Theatre
My love of performing arts began in 1975 in my first role playing Charlie Brown. Over the years I have directed and contributed to a variety of successful performances, joining the Grande Prairie Little Theatre Board in 1980.
I was also involved in the renovation of the Atlas Tire building that became the home of Grande Prairie Live Theatre.
Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC)
I was on the GPRC Board of Governors from 2004-2011, and Board Chair in 2008.
- Trades Training – Negotiated with the Government to keep training in the north.
- Health Training – Established a Registered Nurse Program
- Health Facilities – Collaborate with Government to Build a Regional Health Facility
Swan City Rotary Club
I have been a 30-year member of the Swan City Rotary Club since 1990 and served as President in 2002.
Service Above Self
Rotary has become a huge part of my life – whether volunteering with the Green-a-thon, the Food Bank Drive, serving food at the Friendship Centre, or our Rotary International campaign to eradicate Polio around the world. I am currently volunteering on the Cash & Camping Lottery as the Events Chair.
Mike In The Media
Let’s Work Together!
Your campaign support goes a long way. Whether it’s helping spread the word or donating your hard-earned money or time, every contribution helps.
Stay In The Loop
Get the latest campaign updates, news, and reminders!
Looking for more information? Our team is happy to help!